Friday, June 26, 2009

ONLY BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT!

: ?questlove via Twitter said this yesterday & i concure, "but i think its time we let him rest in peace and learn to separate the ART and the ARTIST. --that is the MJ i will forever remember."


It hit me last night that my generation hasn't really had super major death by a pop icon. i mean yeah James Brown died a couple of years ago as did Rick James, but they we're of an older generation, and at the same time I was really young when Elvis died, & I was 7 when John Lennon was Shot in 1980. I also was in New York when Princess Diana died which was huge.

But, as far remembering specific artists or specific musical moments where where i was like "OH !@#!!!" One was On March 25, 1983 when Michael performed live on the Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever television special, performing "Billie Jean". Doing the moonwalk—his performances during the event were seen by 47 million viewers during its initial airing, and drew comparisons to 's and the The Beatles' appearances on THE ED SULIVAN SHOW
But as a kid growing up in West Texas in a place where my only source of culture was magazines, tv, and the annual family vacations seeing him perform in '83 & Herbie Hancock Perform "Rock It" in '84, was my first exposure to what would end of the current dominant force in popular music Hip Hop.


Micheal Jackson

THANK YOU!

jg

No comments: